Eugene L. DiOrio Theater Ephemera collection
Scope and Contents note
Series I: This series consists of music and theater programs for plays, musical theater productions, musical performances, and opera productions in the Philadelphia and New York metropolitan areas. Programs form the bulk of this collection, but there are also many subscription advertising brochures and other musical and theatrical ephemera.
Series II: This series consists of music and theater programs for plays, musical theater productions, musical performances, and opera productions in the New York metropolitan area. Programs form the bulk of this collection, but there are also many clippings of reviews (primarily theater, but also some other arts reviews), as well as obituaries of actors and other people related to the theater world, subscription advertising brochures and other musical and theatrical ephemera. There is also one folder of cruise ship ephemera.
- Majority of material found within 1960-2012
- DiOrio, Eugene L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact Distinctive Collections staff.
Biographical / Historical
"A life long resident of Coatesville, Mr. DiOrio is a graduate of Villanova University's School of Commerce & Finance, and was employed in the Financial Division of Lukens Steel Company for over 21 years. Business and industrial history, railroads, shipping, and music - especially opera - are favorite subjects." --excerpted from back flap of "Chester County: A Traveler's Album" by Eugene L. DiOrio (Taylor Publishing Company , 1980)
9 Linear feet (21 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of music and theater programs for plays, musical theater productions, musical performances, and opera productions in the Philadelphia and New York metropolitan areas collected by Eugene L. DiOrio and James Kerr. Playbills dating from 1960-2012 form the bulk of this collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
First acquisition was donated by Eugene L. DiOrio, 2012. The bulk of second addition was donated by James Kerr, 2012, with additional materials incorporated later.
- Brandywine Ballet.
- Brandywiners, Ltd.
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.).
- Music -- Periodicals.
- New York City Ballet.
- Opera -- United States.
- Opera Company of Philadelphia.
- Opera programs -- United States.
- Pennsylvania Ballet.
- People's Light and Theatre Company.
- Philadelphia La Scala Opera Company.
- Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Playbills -- Periodicals.
- Savoy Company (Philadelphia, Pa.).
- Theater -- Periodicals.
- Theater -- United States.
- Theater programs -- United States.
- Guide to Eugene L. DiOrio Theater Ephemera collection
- Finding aid prepared by Laura Bang and Rebecca Oviedo. Revisions by Beaudry Rae Allen.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2019 June 6: Collection addition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
800 E Lancaster Ave