Skip to main content

John Joseph Fedigan, O.S.A. records

 Record Group — Box: 1
Identifier: VUA-2-11

Scope and Contents note

The John Joseph Fedigan, O.S.A. records consist of printed materials. The materials included are flyers requesting funds for the erection of a new college building and Augustinian Monastery. Financial appeal also included the erection of a marble statute of St. Augustine and a grotto in honor of the Blessed Mother. He raised more than $275,000 to erect the new college building and Augustinian Monastery.

Dates

  • circa 1870s

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access note

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact Distinctive Collections staff.

Biographical/Historical note

Father John Joseph Fedigan was born in Rathbran, Ireland on 27 April 1842. He studied at Saint Mary’s College in Wilmington, Delaware, before entering the Augustinian novitiate at Ghent, Belgium. He was ordained to the priesthood on 24 October 1868 by Bishop Shanahan in the Philadelphia Cathedral.

During his forty years as a priest, Father Fedigan held many positions in the Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova. In addition, he made many contributions to the spread of the faith and to the growth of the Augustinian Province. In 1874, he was the first Augustinian to serve in Carthage, New York, and became the first Rector there. He was also elected Definitor for American Augustinians at several chapters. Serving as Prior and Pastor at Saint Nicholas’ in Atlantic City, New Jersey, for eighteen years, he established the first rectory and was the first resident Passtor. Through negotiations with Cardinal Gibbons and Archbishop Ireland, he also secured for the Augustinians a parish in Cuba.

In 1879 he opened the mission of Saint Monica at Reeseville (Berwyn), Pennsylvania, to which he sent Father William Jones, later Bishop of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Father Fedigan also negotiated with Archbishop Corrigan for the assignment of “Old Austin Place” on Staten Island, New York, (previously a Visitation Convent) to the Augustinians as a parish.

Father Fedigan served as President of Villanova College from 1878 to 1880, and at the Chapter of 1887, he was elected Provincial. In this position, he raised more than $275,000 to erect a new college building and Augustinian Monastery at Villanova. These buildings were completed in 1900 and 1901, respectively, and the new monastery was officially blessed by Father Fedigan on 29 June 1901. From 1902 to 1906, he served as Prior at Our Mother of Good Counsel, Bryn Maw, Pennsylvania, after which he returned to the monastery at Villanova.

Father Fedigan died on 27 April 1908 at the age of 66. He is buried in the Augustinian Community Cemetery at Villanova. Fedigan Hall, a residence building at Villanova University, is named in his honor.

Works consulted: *Necrology of the Augustinian Provinces of the United States of America (revised, May 2000)

Extent

0.08 Linear feet (1 folder)

Abstract

The John Joseph Fedigan, O.S.A. records consist of printed materials.

Title
Guide to John Joseph Fedigan, O.S.A. records.
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Beaudry Allen
Date
2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Villanova University Archives Repository

Contact:
Falvey Library
800 E Lancaster Ave
Villanova PA
610-519-4133